Thursday, February 21, 2013

Not my Mamma's Cinnamon Rolls...

They look pretty, but...


They were only fair to middling, no recipe to follow.  I usually make cinnamon rolls like Mama did, by dash, dab, look and feel.  I sorta used a recipe for these.  I found the recipe at Chicken in the Road, that West Virginia farm blog site.  She says she uses variations on her Grandmother's Bread Recipe to make all kinds of bread.  Her Grandmother's recipe calls for water and flour with a little sugar and a tiny bit of yeast.  When I see this kind of bread recipe, I always think how My Mama made the best yeast rolls I have ever tasted.  Mama made wallpaper paste from water and flour.  She used whole milk, lard, eggs, sugar and yeast with her flour to make rolls.  These rolls were light but they were not gooey enough.  The recipe said to use 1 cup of powdered sugar to make the frosting. I did not think that was enough for a whole pan of rolls, so I added about another half cup pwd sugar.  Still, the frosting was skimpy.  Next time I will do the dash and dab thing.

Now, I am on to my own version of cracked yeast loaf bread.   I found a old wheat bread recipe in the McCalls cookbook I have and used it to estimate the liquid and flour quantities.  I did measure everything and wrote the ingredients and measurements down so I might be able to pete and repeat if it turns out good. Maybe a recipe will follow.

I am working on the black bean soup, but I am thinking George is not going to like these beans and not so sure I will either.  I can eat cornbread and milk and he can have boiled ham.

It is pretty nasty right now.  Blowing ice, rain and cold.  I am glad I did not venture forth today. Just staying home and wasting flour and beans.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Remember the cinnamon rolls Momma made from left over biscuit dough. Wow...they were so good. She never had powdered sugar and not even cinnamon all the time. She did a lot with what she had....including us.

Sister--Helen said...

you know we do not make rolls like mama because we do not keep going in every hour and add another cup of flour to the sponge and beat again...really releasing all of the glouten....in honor to my mom I am making buns and rolls like that today...unless I decide to give up