Sunday, June 03, 2007

Cousins

Three of the sisters share a hobby of looking for dead people. I sub to several mailing lists where the topic of discussion is dead people. Some messages to these lists are good for a few laughs. At least once a month someone posts to the list trying to proove there grandmother was a Cherokee Indian Princess. It is invaribly Cherokee, not Okanioqan or Kiowa or Souix. Never Indian Prince or Indian Chief, always Princess. There idea has to come from Hollywood. Indian Societies, even the Cherokee, did not have Indian Princesses in their hierachy. The majority of Indian Societies were warrior societies. Women do not usually rise to leadership in warrior societies. It takes a hugh lack of intelligents to want to be a great warrior. Women do not qualify.

Anyway, a few days ago someone named Adams posted to the list that they thought they might be related to Pressident Adams. They said "I have found a possible ancestor of the President John Adams and his Son. So I went researching and I've heard that most presidents are related by cousin relationship." Being a helpful person, I answered that as with everyone, Presidents were someone's cousin, maybe not my cousin and maybe not your cousin, but someone's cousin.

If you want to know if you might be related to a famous person, you can go here:
http://www.genealogy.com/famousfolks/index.html

and type you surname in the search box. Try Powell, and you get many hits. Try Aday, Gaddy or Maples and you get none. Maybe Patsy is related to George Bush.

7 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Remember we are related to the guy who translated the Bible...

Galla Creek said...

We sometimes found some of are ancestors on the 'in jail' list. One of my standridges is not on Newton Co. census in 1900, I think it is...well, he is over in Crawford Co. being housed by the government for 'selling whiskey' without a license. Sometimes when arrested they gave the wrong name. I guess their cousin's tag would come to mind and they would say I'm so-and-so standridge. But this time it is them and they have the right names and they were recognized by the law..having been there with their wagon load of whiskey before. The 3 Standridge boys were nice to their kin each said 'not mine, must be his'.

I remember we found where ole Henry Powell was in the slammer in Mo. for operating a gambling house without a license. We have not found many preachers, though. Not one Indian princess for sure. Most of the women were married...so there!

Sister--Helen said...

You know I have been thinking.....I think you 3 Sisters try to look up all of these Dead people because you can not get along with people that are alive.....This thought just came to me but I think it is a good one....

Sister--Helen said...

Ok Miss Smartie...I am 'SICK N TIRED' and 'TIRED N SICK' of typing my email address and password in each time I want to comment on these Blogs....I do not know why it does not just stay there or at least 'suggest' when I type in the 1st letter 'h' ... I have a lot of important stuff to say to people.... So I would like for you to figure out how I can put in some sort of 'save key' to keep my email address and password close at hand.... you have been posed with harder computer problems...please put some thought into this.... maybe since I am asking for a favor I should delete the past comment, but I think not....

Galla Creek said...

I think you should leave all comments. I get along with dead folks really well. I can go to their place and have a picnic anytime. I get all the potato salad and they get the ants!

Galla Creek said...

Helen, I tried to find that babe capenter for an hour or so the other day...don't know why...guess sort of like a puzzle...but with just babe...had no luck, but i think this carpenter was kin to Linda King, my friend. i know you are saying 'why look'...well, it was better than cleaning so there!

Anonymous said...

I fixed Greg's computer in South Dakota today so I have reached my computer quota for the day. He said he was going to give me a raise. I get along just fine with live people as long as they do not try to talk to me or write to me so look at me or get in my way or get on my nerves. I have told my boss so many times that so and so gets on my nerves, I am afraid to tell her that the supervisor that is taking Brother's job gets on my nerves.

But, I may work on the google log in problem cause that is my pet peeve about the new blog thing. But, i usualy just do anon and sign absolutely sweetest sister and everyone knows who it is.