Saturday, July 07, 2012

July 7

Graveyard shift...


We went to the cemetery this morning to put tree killer on some of the trees that have sprouted since 'we' cut them last spring.


We got down there about 9:30 and it was already over 100 degrees out there.  I got really hot following George around telling him what to do next.  We stayed almost 2 hours.  I was ready to come to the house by that time and was glad when the saw ran out of gas.  There are a couple of grape vines coming back but I have roundup to spray on them.  I can do that by myself and get started before 9:30.


We got a strip about 12 feet wide on this end done before the saw and both of us ran out of gas.  And, we ran out of the stump killer.  The weeds have grown up some, but they are not nearly as bad and the sprouts where he cut down the trees.  We will get more stump killer and go back and finish, maybe on a cooler day.  They say next week is going to be better.



Dan said someone went down there last Sunday.  There were plastic things on the McNeil graves.


This is the hand carved Chancy grave.  She was a daughter of the Joel McNeil that owned part of this land in the 1860's.



And, they uncovered the Leathers children's stone that I knew was there but could not find.


It was not around the edge of the cemetery like I thought.  It was over by the stacked stone graves that have fallen in over by the tree closer to Jacob Shank's grave.  


We saw this mama and her one baby at Dan's pond down in the draw.  I bet she is the one we we saw on our pond a couple of days ago.  


No comments: