Saturday, November 05, 2011

Unsolicited advice...

On ebook readers and cornbread.

Andy Rooney died.  Evidently he does not like ebooks.  I know I have heard him say he did not care for computers, but I will bet that Andy Rooney never tried an ebook.  Since he was not into computers, and an ebook reader is in reality only a limited option computer with limited options, and he did like books, and he had plenty of money to buy any book he wanted to read, and with computer help he could easily have any book he desired delivered directly to his door, it is unlikely he ever gave ebooks a spin.

Of course, I do not actually know Andy Rooney, but I thought I did know myself.  I always liked books, real solid books that I could hold in my hand.  I have never actually spend much money purchasing books, but at one time I had I bet at least a thousand books in my house.  Now I am down to a few hundred.  The problem with real solid books that I can hold in my hand is that I only have two hands.  That leaves a few hundred books that I need to find a place for in my limited space home.  Then, as Betty can attest to, even if I do enjoy reading a particular book, most books have no real use for me after I have read them.  Hence, where unread books are treasures, read books are often trash that I need to find a way to dispose of humanly.  I think I could easily dispatch any animal with little remorse. Disposing of books in the trash is agonizing for me.  Ebooks to the rescue.  Little cost to obtain either in time or money, and no cost, no quilt disposal.   I never thought ebooks  would be for me, but I find the selection at my library greater than their real book selection with the added benefit of being available at anytime, like when I wake up at 4 am, going to work time, on a non work day.

Twice in my life, I have purchased a book as a present for someone so that I could read the book before delivering the present.  I purchased Cold Mountain for Patsy's birthday the year it came out because I wanted to read it.  I read it and did not like it.  Patsy read it and did not like it much either.  I thought is was about the Civil War, but the primary theme was fantasy other world beliefs.

I purchased Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein for Lane when he was only 3 or 4 years old because I saw it at a book store and wanted it.  This book I really liked.   I wrote a note to Lane in the front of the book and put it on my shelf.  It is still here with me.  Someday, I will give it to Lane.



If you own an ebook reader and the purpose in owning an ebook reader is reading ebooks, as long as you can read books with the one you have, buying a new reader is a waste of money, time and effort.

And, cornbread secrets.  First, take an acid reducer tablet of your choice.  Wait 30 minutes.  Pour a bowl of milk, add stale or fresh cornbread, heat in microwave for a couple of minutes.  Add plenty of chopped onions. Enjoy fresh hot cornbread AND milk. In my experience, if I omit the first step, I will regret not omitting the onions.  I have about enough stale cornbread left for one bowl of fresh cornbread AND milk.  George can fend for himself.  He will not eat cornbread AND milk.  Off to slave over the microwave.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I can cornbread and milk tonight..buttermilk is what i LIKE on it. Larry likes it too. He eats his in a glass with what we call sweet milk.

One day I may get into those ebooks. I have a box of books now in the living room looking for a home! I guess I will take the to friends of the library.

There is a new book by Phillpa Gregory. These are historical fiction. Could you get it as an ebook?

Galla Creek said...

Should have said I ate cornbread tonight.

Donna. W said...

You should have a garage sale. If you put a price of fifty cents per used book, you'll sell a lot of them. I only keep books I love; the others I throw away (because I hate having garage sales). Books I have kept: "An Hour Before Daylight" by Jimmy Carter. "Water for Elephants". "Glass Castle". "Cash" by Johnny Cash. There are several more. I only keep books I think I will read again.
If I had bought "The Help", I would have kept it also, but I got it on my Nook from the library.