Saturday, January 26, 2008

My Adventure

Today, I had an adventure. At about 12:15 I started off on my walk. When I got the other side of Dan's I decided to take the road through his field across the Rock Quary. I did this in Nov. 2005 and got lost. Today, I did the same only different. After wondering around across the hill somewhere unknown to me, I saw Hampton's old house and barn, so then I knew where I was. I went on to the old house and started to cross the hill like I did the last time. I was thinking if I walked straight accross the hill from Hampton's, I should come out somewhere between Clayton's house and mine, and I was right, except, walking straight depends on knowing which way straight is. My straight turned out to be very crooked.


I took the old road leading across the hill straight, or what I think is straight, south of Hampton's.

At the top of the hill, the old road is very clear and in the winter easy to follow. A short way after getting to the top, I come across a large pond that I had passed on my way over the hill the first time.
Then I came across a fence that I am thinking runs down the south side of the hill. I cannot figure out what fence this could be, so I follow the road along the fence untill it starts breaking off the hill.


By this time I am completely lost. Then I break out of the timber into the open, with intersecting fences and open places where I can see in the distance. I recognize nothing.
Looking off to my left, I see a white water tower. Now, the only water tower I can remember at the moment is the one by the Head school house, but this water tower is only a mile or so from me. I turn and start back the way I came.

I wonder around and around, coming back within sight of Hampton's house twice more, partly because when I start to get more confused I backtrack to the trail I came in on. After coming back to Hampton's the third time, I decide I better go on down to the road and follow it home.

All this time, I am thinking I should have brought my cell phone cause I could call George and find out where I am, but I did not have my phone. When I finally got home at 4 o'clock, and discussed all this with George, I realize that when I came to the fence at the top of the hill, that is the fence between us and David Combs (the Hampton place) and I should have climbed across the fence and went on down the hill instead of following the fence.

When I came to the part of the hill that was breaking off down hill, I had just passed the line at the top of the hill between David, Frank Marr's and our place. And when I broke out in the open field past there I was looking east across dry creek. The white water tower that I saw was the one at Peden's place, right by the turn to Jack Robinson's old house (where David Combs lives now). I had forgotten it was even there.

George said he was getting ready to go hunt for me when I finally got home. I guess he would have found me on the road, but no way would he have found me on top the hill.

Where I was up there, I lost my hat. I am going back tomorrow to find it.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Over spring break...if I come up can we walk that old road on top of the hill..

Sister--Helen said...

I think you need to stay home.....and Betty sure doesn't need to be up there...