Sunday, November 04, 2007

A Sunday Stroll

Today I decided I would not walk the red dirt road, but walk a lesser path down to the creek. When I got to the creek, I could see the neighbor's house on the other side, but did not see a way across without wading the water. This neighbor across the creek has been my neighbor all my life but I was not sure she still lived out here. I thought she might have moved to town after Virgil died, but after crossing the creek just up from her house this is what I saw. Same old Lois out in the yard raking leaves. We should all be so intergetic. She walks very slowly using a cane, but she looks good for 85 years. As you can see, she still makes a graden.










She says she would sell the place and move to town, but can't find anyone to buy the farm. Her cousins help her get by, the Fultzs I guess. She said she sure missed Hazel. "She called me every day." She said Patsy calls her sometimes.


She has a dog and a cat, and a new car that her cousin Charley helped her find. Some months ago she wrecked her car. Someone pulled out in front of her. She said she has trouble driving the new car. Once when she needed to go to the doctor, her cousin (Mary Jane?) from Berryville came out and drove her in the new car. Last week when she needed to go again, the cousin was going to come out again, but Lois said, "No, I can manage." She drives the car to the top of the hill sometimes to get her mail.





As I left, I told her I might come visit again, but I would come in my little red truck down the road, not across the creek on foot.

6 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I wonder if she can still make those sugar cookies...did she offer you one. I am blessed with 2 girls who will care for me in my old age. Lovely gift from God...

Sister--Helen said...

The road on the hill just looks like a little trail now with no one much using it....I wish the county would put the bridge back up..

Sister--Helen said...

Could you believe she was out raking leaves...I wonder if she was going to burn them when she got them all raked up...I'm sure my sister Fleta will not be out raking leaves even now.....run them over with the mower...

Anonymous said...

No, Fleta will not be running leaves over with a mower either. I still remember and take to heart advise Sister Patsy gave me years ago. Don't worry about the 'stuff', trash or leaves, a big wind will come up in a few days or weeks and blow it all over onto the neighbor's property. I never rake leaves and never mow, but sometimes I do pick up trash in the yard. Then, sometimes George just has to do it all.

Sweetness

Galla Creek said...

I just now noticed that Lois is up there on the steps of this last photo of the house...all bent over from life!

Galla Creek said...

I was thinking that well had good water, but I guess it was just really the creek water soaked in the ground.