Sunday, November 04, 2007

A story from Lois

Lois talked a lot about her brother, Virgil. If you remember, a year or two before he died, Virgil broke his hip while helping load cattle. I think he was about 85 years old at the time. As Lois told it:

Virgil was working the tail gate to the stock trailor as they loaded the cattle. As Virgil started to close the gate, one animal tried to get back through the gate and knocked Virgil down. She tired to get him to let her take him to the doctor, but he would not go until they got the cattle loaded. He sat on a barrell and watched until they were finished and pulled away with the cattle. Now, could she take him to the doctor? Well, not just yet. You see he had fallen in the barn yard and was a mess. He insisted he had to change clothes before going to the doctor. She said she had a terrible time getting his clothes changed and getting him cleaned up.

When they got to Berryville, the doctor said his hip was broken and sent him on to Fayetteville. There, they had to put a pace maker in his heart before they felt he was strong enough to withstand the surgery for his hip. It was several days later before they actually operatored to fix his broken hip. He said it never did hurt.

4 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Life is hard when you are old with no children to call. Jr. and Greg would help George load the cows. Our offspring are our blessing.

I know Lois is lonely. I hope you can go again to visit her.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to leave the idea that he did not have help with the cattle. They had hired a crew to haul the cattle to the sale barn, but Virgil would not leave until all were loaded.

Sweetness

Galla Creek said...

I am glad they had help.

Sister--Helen said...

I am so glad you went to see her. I called her back in June....just days before I found out I was sick...I was going to ask you to go see her but then I forgot with all that I had going on.....I hope you go back...you need to take her something you cook like some bread...she would like that