Sunday, October 06, 2013

And, a story for Donna

Donna is one of Patsy's blogger friends.  Donna has lots of stories, old and new.  From one of her old stories, I know that as a young woman she worked at National Bellas Hess in Kansas City.  Since reading about that on her blog some time ago, read that years ago, I have been meaning to tell Donna about our shared experience.

In late 1968 or early 1969  I moved to the KC area with George's cousin Sharon.  We lived in Excelsior Springs, but my first job was as a 'picker' at National Bellas Hess in KC.  This was a catalog mail order business and 'pickers' were people who ran up and down the isles of merchandise picking up merchandise and tossing it into a pushcart much like a grocery cart, then racing back to somewhere else, dis-remembered by me, where the merchandise was organized into packages for shipment to the customers.  It was the most hated job I ever had, and the only job I was ever fired from.   I did not care, I hated the job.  It was also the only company I ever worked for where employees were expected to run.  Actually, I think it was the only job I ever had where employees were even allowed to run.  I think I worked there about 2 months.

After that, I went to work for the  phone company, back when there was only one phone company.  I worked at the Gladstone office of Southwestern Bell until the fall of 1972 when I got married and moved to Ft. Meade Marilyn with my new husband.

Sometime in 1969, we moved from the apartment in Excelsior Springs to a trailer park in Claycomo, right on the interstate.

I did not like working for the company, but my mother still ordered merchandise from them because there prices were less expensive than Sears and Montgomery Wards.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I found no photos of my namesake. Not one. I found a photo of her in Dad's front yard when she was old. That is all. I found lots of original photos of the gaddy family. Guess no one wanted them and Momma gave them to me.

Made me a little sad that I did not have one single picture of a young Aunt Betty, but I did not.

I found a huge stack of pictures you had made for me and did not label who they were of. Now, I have no idea who they are.

I found several old pictures that made me smile and I laid them out and will try to take a photo of them to post as I am to lazy to get the scanner out.

Galla Creek said...

Sounds like a hell of a mess at bell of a hess!

Donna. W said...

That's what we called it, Sister-Three! National Hell-of-a-Mess! Actually, I enjoyed the job, but I didn't have anything to compare it with. I do know that everyone I ever heard of getting fired went on to better jobs that paid more.