Sunday, June 02, 2013

Some of my favorite dead people stories...


To wit:

One of my very favorite, written by Fleta and Betty together, is the story of Jacob Goldman and his mother, referred to again and again as ‘The Widow Goldman.’  Here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~powell/jacob.htm 
You will find that story.

In 1996, I was working alongside many friends that had only recently journeyed here to start a new life. I sometimes heard the locals say these people should go back to their own country where they belonged.  This always made me think of the many stories I had found about my own people coming here from a far off land.  I wrote the poem Born On the Side of Right, expressing my feelings about being and accidental American.  The poem is here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~powell/right.htm



And then there is the poem about Charles Powell, our Revolutionary ancestor here http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~powell/freedom.html with a link to his story. It has been a great source of amusement to me that many of Charles Powell's descendants have been made members of the DAR on the strength of the document listing Charles Powell as a member of the Halifax County VA militia, as a deserter.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I re read the Goldman story and saw several grammatical errors. I am sure I made those not Fleta. If Mac uses this .... Helen, please correct the errors.

Sister--Helen said...

Kenie turned in her report. she said most kids had 1 hand written sheet...Kenzie had 1 will...1 poem...about 8 pictures...incl 1 of herself...2 pg. type written report and 21 pages of a family tree...She used some antique paper for the front and for some of the pix...she said we will have to take a pix for sister Fleta. She was so proud..Finally your dead people work pd off for me...I was a hero for having you in the family...

Anonymous said...

Also known as eczema, this skin condition may
appear or worsen during pregnancy. I would also like to dismiss the earlier notion that developing of genital skin
tags should not be misunderstood towards developing any sexually transmitted diseases.
You will find that your custom shapes are now available from
the shape menu when you have the Custom Shape Tools selected.


Also visit my website; how to get skin tags removed