Friday, November 25, 2011

Different Strokes

Helen told all about her marathon cooking for giving.  There was a time when I would have cooked all sorts of food for a family gathering.  In my old age, I try to be more practical  and cook what gets eaten.  I do not enjoy cooking as much as I once did and I hate having a ton of leftovers.  George does not eat leftovers.  Yesterday, I had a chicken and dressing casserole that I made Sunday and put half in the freezer because I love turkey and dressing but just barely tolerate ham.  All my family would much rather have ham. I made mashed potatoes and for the first time ever bought a package of brown gravy mix.  George really wants brown gravy on his potatoes but I was not cooking anything to make a gravy from.  The mix was terrible.  I did not see if George used it or not but I just asked him and he said no.  I don't think anyone ate any of it.  I made sweet potatoes with marshmellows from canned sweet potatoes [2 cans because you have to have plenty].  I love real baked sweet potatoes but I did not think anyone else would want them.  I threw away most of the sweet potatoes.  I guess there was plenty.  Then I had green beans [2 cans].  Not sure if they ate much of them but I put what was left in the fridge as I will eat them or can reheat them for George.  They ate lots of ham but there is lots left.  It will be eaten as leftovers.  In fact some of them had ham last night and for breakfast again today.

I made 3 pumpkin pies.  One is gone.  Me, Robert and George all love pumpkin pie so the other 2 will not go to waste.

My bread did not go over as well as usual because it looked weird, but still most of it was eaten and some of it went home with jr.

I did all the cooking and all the cleaning up, except I got George to slice up the leftover ham and put it away. When you only have guys, you get to do must of the cleaning.  Between the birthday party and turkey day, there was lots to clean up.  Oh, and the kids all loved the cake.  I think Robert and Emmy both had cake for dinner last night.

They all stayed here last night except jr, but now they are gone shopping.  Greg was taking the little kids and I suggested the big kids go along.  It worked for me, maybe for Greg not so much.

Now they are back.  Both girls and Robert got new shoes.  They already had plenty of toys, but Robert and Emmy needed new shoes. Robert's are light up shoes with Velcro straps so he can put them on himself.  Greg got Emmy shoes, too.  That was nice of him.

I think they may have gotten something for Lane's truck also.

Hannah already has her regular clothes off and is putting on one of her princess dresses and we are watching Tangled.

3 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

just when was it you enjoyed cooking??? oh yeah, it must have been the same time you liked cleaning...

Sister--Helen said...

BTW I love the calendar

Galla Creek said...

Erin cooked most of what we had. She cooked a ham. Greg's Dad had smoked turkey. I made the dressing. Laura made rolls. Her rolls were soooo good. The ham and turkey were both good. My dressing was good too. There was lots of vegetables and deserts because both Erin's and Greg's family come. Roger (Larry's Garrison brother) drove us up there. It was a nice day. I did not have to clean up. I am planning Xmas already.....at Laura's!