Sunday, April 17, 2011

Lost and Found


Cemetery Man digging up stones...

This Lieuettie Capps stone was buried like the William Cox stone.  I knew her stone was likely next to her sister's stone.  I could not find it, so I suggested maybe Cemetery Man could give it a try.


Two Capps sisters, Effie and Lieuettie.



After checking the list that was made in 1984 that listed the stones by row, I found this stone lying face down on top the ground.  It says M. McNiel.  I wonder who M. is.  There are 4 McNiel family markers in this cemetery and they are all hand carved sand stones like this.

We have now revealed all the known marked stones except for the Leathers children's marker that was placed about 15 years ago.  It was set flat on the ground and I cannot locate it.  I have had Cemetery Man looking for it  also.  I know it is there because I have a picture take in 2003.

Now we are at a point that we really do not have to do anything more except to keep the brush and weeds down.  I have some roundup to spray on some of the bushes but they need to green up a little before I use it.  For it to work, the plant needs to be actively growing.

Next week, I may go up to some out of the way place on 86 highway and dig up some Iris to plant by the stones.  Tomorrow, it is back to the grind.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

It all looks great. Cemetery man has done an outstanding job.

Sister--Helen said...

I can not wait to see the stones...