Saturday, April 16, 2011

Black Oak Cemetery Reclaimed


February 15, 2011...


After, April 16, 2011...


March 12, 2011 John V. Leathers stone.  You can barely see the white stone in the brush beside to the left of  the down tree.

John V. Leathers stone April 16, 2011.  Jacob Shank stone in background.

Jacob Shank stone March 12, 2011.


Jacob's stone April 8, 2011, before George Aday and his tractor got a hold of it.


April 16, 2911, Jacob Shank's stone reset and cleaned.  The inscription along the bottom says, 'A loving husband, a father dear, a faithful friend lies buried here.


Stacked stones and McNiel graves March 12, 2011.


Stacked stones, McNiel family graves, April 16, 2011.


Minnie Cox stone, March 12, 2011.  Jacob Shank stone to the left.


Minnie Cox stone, April 16, 2011.


William F. Cox stone April 16, 2011.  There is not before of this stone because it was broken, laying down flat and buried about 6 inches under the ground next to Minnie's stone.  George was trying to fill in the hole where the Shank stone had sunk into the ground and uncovered William's stone and foot stone.  Inscription says 'A light from our household is gone, A voice in our midst is stilled, 
     A place is vacant in our hearts That never can be filled.'


April 16, 2011, Minnie, William F. and John A. Cox, three siblings revealed again.


Southwest corner March 12, 2011...


Same corner, April 16, 2011,  with my homemade gate.  George took a gate down but it was too short for the opening.  I used a metal post and the wire that was there for a makeshift gate.  I went down by myself today.  George will be able to improve on the gate when he gets back down there.  Cemetery Man is tired of the cemetery, but he has done a great job.  No way could I have done anything like this without him, his chain saw and his mighty tractor...









April 16, 2011...


Taken from brother's yard, April 16, 2011 about 4:30 pm.  If you click to enlarge, you can now see Jacob's stone from here.

5 comments:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Super job and it looks great!

Galla Creek said...

Those at rest can rest easier in a clean garden.

Donna. W said...

What an amazing difference. I love old graveyards, and you did this one proud.

Anonymous said...

well I am just speachless....I can not believe how good it looks....I hope when I come down this summer I am able to walk down there....I'll bet Clayton will go with me....I'm like Patsy, I am not quiet sure why you did all of this but I do think it was a really nice thing to do and even I like looking at these stones....h

Miriam Robbins said...

Wonderful! I wish there was a way to do this with one of my ancestral families' little cemetery in Michigan.