Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Prevailing Wage

First, about the boss thing. George and I have aged. At one time we argued and fought about many things. We were very different, saw things differently and had very different ideas on most things in life. I did always want to be boss, and George, like my mother, just said Ok, Ok and went ahead and did whatever he wanted. Now we each mostly just do whatever we want and rarely fight about anything. Which is not the same as being in agreement. We are having a disagreement about the trim for the back bedroom. We bought 1 by 4's like son said to do, and have to stain and seal them with that poly stuff that I can not spell. George wanted them darker than the floor, so we tried a couple of short pieces, one dark and one light. I hated the dark. It looked really fake and did not go with the floor. I still said light. He still said dark. He is gone. I am boss. When he gets home, the trim will be stained (lightly) and sealed, ready to install. I may have to get son to do that part.

George is down in OK. He left at 3 am and at 6 pm was still working. They told them when they got hired that they could only work 40 hours a week. He said now they can work all they want. I guess things are not going as planned. Who would have guessed.

I looked online today about the census hiring. Does anyone else think it is really odd that he is being paid to go hundreds of miles away to a different state to write down house addresses? Surely there are people in Tahlequah needing a job. The population is just over 14,000; just a bit larger than Harrison.

Anyway, google found this site with all the 2010 census offices and the going rate of pay for each.

http://2010.census.gov/2010censusjobs/how-to-apply/local-office-map.php

Just click on a state. The pay rates range from a low of $10 to a high of $25 in Alaska. Some states have many offices, and some have only one like Alaska. Arkansas has 4. Three states had an area that paid the low $10 rate. Guess which three? I was surprised at all 3 and VERY surprised at one. George works out of the Springdale office. His rate is more than people working out of Springfield, Missouri ($10.50). That really surprised me. I thought probably New Mexico, North Dakota, Wyoming would have the lower rates of pay. I was wrong. I bet you will be wrong also.

It was cold and rainy today. Supposed to be really nice tomorrow and Friday and cold again on the week end. I have decided I am planting the spring garden the first week of April. Potatoes, onions, radishes and greens. I was really pleased with the potatoes last year. I am planting two or three rows and I am going to figure a way to store them.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

I still don't see why they would send someone all the way out there to count heads. I know those Indians can take censuses as they have done it on all those rolls!