Friday, February 08, 2008

For Sisters

This post is especially for sister 1 and 4.

Sister 1 searched and found on the net that sisters and cousin Winnie are not in danger of going to jail for taking pictures of their ballots Tuesday. After I read her comments, I did the same search and found she was correct. I never take her word for anything. She is as old as McCain and you know how he gets things confused. I found with the search that it is a very common misconception that taking a photo of your ballot is illegal. Wonder how that got started. Well, anyway, it may be illegal pretty soon. You see, in the past politicians paid good money for votes but had no way of ensuring that they got their money's worth because of the secret ballot. Now, politicians in third world countries are requiring voters to take a cell phone photo of their ballot prior to paying out good money for the vote. Maybe Patsy will get a cell phone and sell her vote to McCain.

Sister 4 is trying to be nice, but as I have said many, many times lately being nice is really, really hard when it goes completely against your nature.

You see we have this really nice lady that works in our department with me. She really, really gets on my nerves, as do most nice people. It is not that she does anything bad, or really anything that would bother most normal people, but the sister is not normal. The nice lady irritates me to no end. So, I made it my goal to be nice. I have not been successfully fulfilling this goal lately, so Monday and Tuesday I make myself a name tag that said BE NICE! to help me remember to BE NICE. These signs did not have much effect on my behavior. My level of niceness hovered somewhere between zero and one. Our company has this thing they call smart goals. I cannot remember all the rules for smart goals but 1 is that they be measurable and another is that they be achievable. Well, this goal was certainly measurable because many people were noticing and reminding me when I fell short (not many people knew exactly why I was supposed to be nice, but the sign told the story and I was supposed to be nice to everyone, not just a certain one.) Tuesday morning after my mouth got the best of me once again, I publicly ripped the be nice sign and threw it in the trash while many were watching. I explained to those watching that goal did not meet the definition of smart goals because it was absolutely not achievable.

Moral of this story for me and Helen. Do not beat your head against a brick wall.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

When you say you want to be nice...God sends many oportunities for you to practice the skill. Do not make this promise...just pray for peace and to be left alone and maybe He will hear.

Cheryl said...

It is easier for me to be nice because all I do is stay home and only get out when I have to.

patsy said...

it is slow..