Saturday, January 11, 2014

A good day...

Weather much improved.  No work.  Grocery shopping complete for the week.  House cleaned and a good book to read.

I enjoy reading on the pad much more than the computer.  It is much more like a book.  I am now reading Burning the Days by James Salter.  Well, not the whole but, just bits and pieces that catch my interest, but he is a good writer.  I read the Chicken In the Road book.  I was a let down.  The good parts I had already read on her blog.  I did read most of it, but I am glad I downloaded it for the library and did not buy it. In the last month I have downloaded several books from the big library in the clouds out west.  Some I did not actually read, but some I did read in enjoy.  Last week, in the big freeze, I read Etched In Sand by Regina Calcaterra, a memoir about her and her siblings life in foster care.  It was really interesting.  I read a book written in the 1970's by a woman who trekked across  Australia with a bunch of camels.  The first part of that book was interesting, but the actual part about the trek with camels across the desert was less so.  She was a weird woman who loved camels.

Then, I read all the books I could find by Maarten Troost.  His books are very funny, but informative.  He spent many years following his wife around Islands in the Pacific in her job as a social worker.  He writes about the lives of the locals with envy of their lifestyle.  Very refreshing.

I read Wine to Water and found it very interesting.  This is a charity started by a man wanting to help people in Africa get clean water.  The charity won the CNN hero of 2009 and CNN aired a documentary about him recently.  I did not watch it, but it was likely interesting.

I have downloaded a book about Mandela to read next, but if the weather keeps improving I may take a walk tomorrow morning instead of reading.

I  think Helen as mildewed in all the damp and cannot move to type on the computer anymore.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

I read the White Princess. It is fiction but I really liked it. She was henry Viii's mother.

Now I am reading about Patsy Abbey folks. they were the ones that found King Tut in Egypt. rich folks in Britain. It is interesting.

Warmer today but still felt cold. guess I am cold to the bone and maybe tomorrow I will get warm.

Erin came today and i got to see my two kids. Both are so sweet. Greta says "stop it" all the time.