Saturday, June 22, 2013

Saturday Chickens

Patsy asked if we had any chickens left.  I don't think we lost any to the raccoon.  I saw feathers but no chicken remains.  Last night, I counted 12 big red hens, the rooster, the little brown banty with feathers on her legs, 2 big hens patsy gave us last year, one white banty and one dark banty we got last year, plus one black and one white chicken that hatched out this year.  The snakes got all the other baby chicks, but I think they have killed all the snakes for now. Anyway, the kids have not reported any new snake sightings since last week.  I think that accounts for all the chickens.


Robert the rooster and some hens.


They like to gather under Junior's house during the day.


The dark colored banty.



The two original red hens and the white one that hatched out this year.



Light colored banty.  Her legs are completely healed from the bugs last fall.


Feather legged banty.


White chick with top knot.


Black chicken with top knot.


Deer.


The mocking birds in the yard have been harassing the crows.  It is fun to watch them.


This is where the big chickens roost now.  They will not go in their house since the wild animal scare.


The first batch of chickens do not mix much with the big hens.  And, they want to roost around front.  I keep the all run off the deck, but they keep trying.


Still no new babies from Big Red.

5 comments:

Galla Creek said...

The chickens are beautiful. I mowed by my pen and ran over a big King snake...he was cut to bits. I hated it because I bet he was eating mice, but if I ever do get little chicks he would have eaten them.

We have killed about 14 rabbits since we started. I blamed the deer for eating those soup beans...but think it was the rabbits. they are big ones.

Donna. W said...

I have a banty rooster with feathers on his legs. I wish I could find someone with a banty hen that would trade me.

Sister--Helen said...

Oh Donna...ride that big ass motorcycle to Ark...let sister pat know and she will have you what ever you are looking for...

Sister--Helen said...

oh Fleta that flop eared goat that is part nubian we need to milk her...

Unknown said...

The white chicken with the top feathers that you caught running..reminds me of a roadrunner