Saturday, October 13, 2012

Saturday, October 13


I have been wanting to let my chickens out of the pen and then just pen them back up at night, but I was afraid they would not go back in the pen. Then, we have lots of chicken hawks.  Betty said the hawks would sit and watch and pick them off one by one.  Patsy said they needed dirt to scratch in.  I decided, whatever, and gave it a try.  The two big fat red hens were the first ones out.



They all came out except this black banty.  She is the one that they all  tired to pick her eyes out and I had to pen her up by herself for a month.


They really enjoyed the dirt.


And they all went back in about 5:30 all on their own.  I think I will let them out again tomorrow afternoon, unless it is raining.  

It was 70 degrees here today.  A beautiful day off, all in all.

3 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

I let the chickens out here almost all day...they love being out and run the fence when they are in the pen...plus we got that egg with no shell today...every hen laid today...and
i was outside trying to make a fire so I kept them in the yard

Galla Creek said...

I love watching them when they are out of the pen.

Sister--Helen said...

today I wot
rked outside all day pulling up old stumps and olr rotten wook...one little red hen followed me around all dau and would jump on the bugs under the logs..I even petted her today