Saturday, September 22, 2012

Chicken Alaska


Is still a town in Alaska.  Census population in 2010 was seven, but their website says typical population is about 17 year round and 100 in summer when the gold miners still come to find gold.



It is way over on the border by Canada.  They have no electricity, no phone service and no indoor plumbing, but they have had a post office with regular mail delivery since 1906.  When Anne was teaching there, it was by pack mule and dog sled, but today it is two days a week by plane.  Or I think they said plane.

After reading the book, I wanted to see where it was, but I also wanted to know what happened to the two Indian children that Anne adopted.  Anne died in the 1980's, but I found online where she said the boy died of TB after he was grown.  His mother also died of TB and that is how Anne came to take the children.  The girl was living in Texas, and I think had a family.

You can google Chicken Alaska and find some fun things about the town.

Read the book.  It is really interesting.

Thisa.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

Now if I just had a son to buy me a Kindle Fire....