Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May 15, my orchard



This first tree is the nectarine, then a Galla Apple, Semi Dwarf Fuji Apple, June Gold cling peach and a Sam Houston peach.  I think all of them are dwarf trees, but the Galla apple and the two peachs wer not marked as dwarf.  Both apple trees have lots of apples, but the Fuji has a few more and the Sam Houston peach has only a few peaches.  It almost died last year and now has shoots coming up from the bottom.  I was going to cut them all except one, but have just left it as a peach 'bush'.  I may just leave it that way.  So far it has been a good year for fruit here.  The June Gold peaches will be ripe in a couple of weeks.

Helen, the things in the garden with the big leaves are squash.  Squash bugs always kill my squash after a few weeks, but by the time the bugs do their damage, I am have all the squash I want.  I am thinking I am going to take some of George's nice metal steaks and make a place for my cucumbers to climb.  I have never tried that before.  I am not very fond of squash or cukes,but I grow them because they are easy.  I do not like to grow things that are a lot of work.

No comments: