Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15, Sunday rain


I decided it was only going to rain here and not storm so I planted my tomatoes yesterday.  I planted most of what Patsy gave me plus 4 early girl and 4 Park's Whoppers.  Then I planted 8 sweet peppers, 4 jalapenos, 4 zucchini squash, and 4 cucumbers.

Then I hoed and weeded my spring garden, onions, lettuce, radishes, and spinach.  The lamb's quarter had about taken them over.  They looked much better when I got them clean.


This is the first year I have been able to grow spinach.  You have to plant it in February here.

I also planted strawberries in the flower bed at the east end of the trailer.  The German's had them for $6 a bundle and they looked like good plants.  They are Honeye strawberries which I have never heard of, but Judith said they had large berries.  I thought they might be those tiny berries I have seen.  I am thinking they will do good in the raised bed.

We bought new bird feeders and I got some sunflower seeds for the birds.  It was $18 for 20 lbs.  Last year I think it was $10.  The little yellow finches have been flocking to the seed and sitting in the oak tree singing.  I saw a humming bird on my sage this morning, so I guess I need to get out the humming bird feeders.

So far we have only rain and a little thunder and lighting but no bad winds and no hail.  I hope it does not hail on my tomatoes as Patsy probably won't give me replacements.

Still not baby goats, but I think it will surely be this week...

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

Down here 40 pound of sunflower seeds are 22 dollars. They are used up before you know it.

I planted improved pintos and squash today. No tomatoes yet...