Monday, August 22, 2011

This I know

On the day we buried my mother, six of her children were there at the cemetery.  One child was in Arizona.  One child was with her Savior.  It is possible the child that was with her Savior was closer than the rest of us to where our mother resided that day.  The other seven children, the six at the cemetery and the one in Arizona, were all equal distance from where ever their mother resided on that day, including the one in Arizona.  Funerals are conducted with the living, by the living, for the living.  The dead are in another existence elsewhere and occupied with far different concerns.  Whether one attends a funeral or not, or even if there is a funeral or not, is of interest only to the living.

Of my mother's five daughters, the smartest one left this earth in 1983.

I have always considered funerals to be a Pagan Rite.

Luke 9:60.

6 comments:

patsy said...

funerals are pagan.

Galla Creek said...

A man we know lost his wife last week. He had her cremated and then he and his family had a service of their own. No professionals involved. Sounded nice to me.

Donna. W said...

We will be cremated, and I have told the kids it's up to them if they want to have a service or not. It's really an inconvenience for everyone, especially those who live far away. My son-in-law thinks a funeral is needed for closure; I don't agree. Dead is dead.

patsy said...

My cremation is paid for I hope Nelson has to shell out the money soon.

patsy said...

Closure is a word invented by TV shows like Law and Order to get you to watch the boob tube.
I think that word is like where some one has a loved one murdered and they drag them selves to the trial of the killer every day and put them selves thro' all that terrible stuff to get "closure" when after all the shouting is over the loved one is still dead.
People have to learn there are no refunds on death.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.