Wednesday, March 16, 2011

And for the dead


We returned to the cemetery for a couple of hours this afternoon after I got off work.  This is John V. Leathers stone, before.

This is the same stone, in the back against the big tree.  That is Jacob Shank's grave in the middle, and a Cox child in the foreground.


Another after.  I guess we have about a fourth of it cleared now.  We have to get out this big dead tree, and there are 2 more dead trees George says he is going to cut.  After we get the brush and trees cleared out, we have to fill in some of the graves including Jacob's.  And, I am going to dig out all the stones that look like they might be grave markers even if there are no markings on them.  After it is all cleaned up, I think I may plant some iris and daffodils around the stones.  But that will have to wait a while because we are going to use weed and brush killer to help keep down the growth.  I am planning on keeping it clean.  We are going to take a stock panel down and make a gate as now there is no gate except for the hole where the tree fell on the fence.  I am planning on having it completed by April first. 

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I think you are going to get the grave cleaner award of Carroll Co.

Sister--Helen said...

Even I am anxious to see what stones you dig up...I really would like to help you with this project...and I mean it. I know you all think I am just making fun of Fleta for doing this..

Unknown said...

What will this little cemetery be called? Mike and I have been using a site that is new to us called..findagrave.com. We have been looking by counties in SE MO...and we have found a few ancestors....I guess you would say we are both hooked. I love that there are people like you that are caring for these old cemeteries...it is shocking to see how many are not being cared for.