Friday, February 11, 2011

DNA - Do Not Assume

Sister keeps telling me we have no match to brother's DNA in the Powell DNA project, and therefore, one of our male ancestors back through the generations was not a Powell.  I say, we may as well assume one of our male ancestors was not human, as we have zero (zilthch, nill, nada) exact 37 marker matches in the entire FTDNA database. I think she is adding 2 plus 2 and getting 5.

I have had trouble interpreting just what all the DNA data tells me.  Well, that is not exact, as in the matches.  The data really tells  me nothing as I do not know what to look for other than exact number matches.  Yesterday and today I have been reading up on the FTDNA site to try to better understand where we stand on this confusing issue of no matches.

FTDNA says this about 12 marker mis-matches with 11 of 12 marker match and the one marker is only 1 number off.
https://www.familytreedna.com/genetic-distance-markers.aspx?testtype=12


·         Distance: 1 - Possibly Related
You share the same surname (or a variant) with another male and you mismatch by only one 'point' on only one marker. For most closely related or same surnamed individuals, the mismatch markers are either DYS 439 or DYS 385 A, 385 B,389-1 and 389-2. To ensure that the match is authentic you should utilize additional markers.

On looking at the Powell DNA project here
We are VA16.  Right below us is an exact 12 marker match, but, when carried out to our 37 marker tests, we are off several places.
Below this match are 2 tests that are off our 12 marker by just 1 marker and 1 that is off on 2 markers.  These 2 tests that match 11 of 12 of Clayton's markers are 1 number off on the above mentioned DYS 439.  According to the above info that means in order to determine if we are related to these two individuals, we need to test more markers.  We have more marker results, but they do not.  
I looked at who these two have for their line.  One is Nichols Powell that died in Virginia in 1670. I did not find much on this Nicholas.  The other mis-match is for Thomas Powell born about 159? in Powellton, England, died February 9, 1687, Isles of Wright, Virginia.  Checking World Connect for this Thomas Powell just guess who we find?  Go ahead guess.  I find one Thomas Powell in Virginia that I have always felt we might have a connection to, but cannot actually find a paper connection.  But, I am not going to tell.  Go look.
Oh, and the original Thomas Powell, died 1687, know who he married?  Priscilla Whitson.  Ever see the name Whitson in our records?  This Thomas and his son William are well documented in will and land records in Isles of Wright, Virginia.
I found this about Thomas on Rootsweb about this 1687 Thomas Powell, but I would take it with a grain of salt. I am not even sure that it is correct that he was a Captain.
Captain Thomas Powell sailed to St. Kitts and the Barbados. He was later a Sea Captain in the Sack and Rum trade between the West Indies and North America. He left his son William Thomas on a visit to Virginia.
Hurry, go look!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I have not looked at any of the DNA... but I know I am a powell...I figure if Betty is right...Clayton is the only one of us that is not a Powell all of the rest of us are..You know he is the only one of us that got any of Grandpa Gaddy's genes...you know he never worries, he does not try to control everything and everyone, he does not have to express EVERY one of his openions at the top of his lungs, he has a little finess, he is not sick all of the time, and most of all he got along with Mother just fine....I think Betty is looking at this all wrong! Sister helen powell....

Galla Creek said...

Surely, one day Clayton's dna will crack our case open and we can see what is inside.