Saturday, January 01, 2011

The Beginning


A very cold day, but the ducks returned to the pond.



Our neighbor, Donna, left today in the helicopter that is a speck on the horizon here.  She collapsed and her family thought she was having a heart attack, but after getting to the hospital, she is doing better.  She has been in and out of the hospital several times in the last few months.  She has portable oxygen all the time now, but she still goes in and out by herself in her car.  I hope she gets to come back soon.

Next week George and Patsy will get their G money.  For the second year, they will not get a raise because the cost of living is the same as it was in 2008.  I do not believe that.  Here is my list of costs for common groceries.
Milk $3.58 gallon
Bread $2.24 (this is the Sunshine loaf I always buy
Folger Coffee $6.98 for 34.5 oz
Eggs $1.64 a dozen
Flour great value $1.58 for 5 lbs
Sugar great value $2.74 for 5 lbs
Canola oil great value $2.58 a jar (the size I always buy, maybe 1 qt?)
Green Beans 67 cents a can
Imperial Margarine 69 cents a pound
Bananas 49 cents a pound
Potatoes $2.50 for 10 pounds, on sale
Avocado 98 cents each
Ground Chuck $7.38 for 3 pounds

These are walmart prices from sales tickets in the month of December.  Let's see what they are in a month, 6 months and a year.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got my social sec. statement and I made as much in 2005 as I did last year. One thing that is going up is gas...they said it would be 4.00 a gallon by summer. We will just stay home.

Donna and Frank have lived down there a long time. Dad died in 1988. They lived there before that so surely about 25 years they have been your neighbor.

Sure hope she get better. What a way to start off her year. Sis 3

patsy said...

I wish Donna the best, She was a good neighbor to mama.

Anonymous said...

not only a good neighbor to Mama but a friend to Mama....As I have said many times I have never seen 2 women so very different that seemed to enjoy each other...I know mama enjoyed her and if Donna did not enjoy Mama she sure put on a good front for a lot of years. She would stop often and visit with Mama after work...But never on Friday nights...Mama knew where she was Friday night after work and it did not bother Mama one bit.. I hope she makes it back home to be able to go for a little while longer.h