Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spinding money



Last week I bought a used table and 5 chairs at the doggie thrift store at Berryville. I like the table because it is a good sturdy table and it fits in the space I have. The top of the table needs to be refinished. I do not really like the chairs, but they are good chairs. I need to find material to recover the seats on them. I went to Harrison today and found some good upholstery material at the thrift store there for $3. It is good material and I like the color, but I don't think it is enough for all 5 chairs. It was just $3 and is a solid maroon color so I can use it for something if I do not use it on these chairs. I really would like to paint the table, but George and Lane did not like my idea of painting it pastel blue.

Anyway, while looking for material, I found these two things for 50 cents each. The big spoon says 'shorting and ice cream spoon'. It was once a pink or cooper color. I remember, when we were kids, we had one just like this. I think it may have come free in a box of oat meal.




These are the dishes I bought at the dollar store in January. I have had them packed away for my new kitchen since I did not have a place to store them. I now have them 'stored' on my new old table. I love them because they are so bright and cheerful.




This is a bowl I bought a week or two ago at one of the junk stores. I almost did not buy it because it was $2 and it has a small scratch on the rim. I have no real use for this bowl except to set it out to look pretty. I have already gotten my $2 worth from the enjoyment of seeing it looking so pretty on my new old table with my new old plastic table cloth. I gave 50 cents for the table cloth and I almost did not buy it because I really did not need it.

George and I had not eaten sitting at the table since we started 'remodeling' sometime last year. We either ate at the bar or out on the deck. It is bug season on the deck and I can not stand fighting the bugs for the first bite. We have eaten at the table several times in the last week. All in all, I am pleased with all these purchases. There was not much money involved in any of these purchases, but they have brought me pleasure.

The fact is, however, I have not saved any money by making these purchases. I have only spent money. When someone or some company tells you that you are saving money by making a purchase from them, if the thing purchased is not a life required necessity that you HAVE to have, they are feeding you a lie in order to relocate your money from your hand to their hand.

4 comments:

Erin said...

i tried to buy a bowl at our auxillary one day. it had a 'crack' in it. i think it was priced at .25 cents. the volunteer wouldn't let me buy it she told me it was gonna break. she just had me take it. good thing they aren't paying her. i like the blue bowl. i'll give you .25 cents for it.

patsy said...

are the red dishes festia or is it fistea?any way if they are they are suppose to be valuable.
I have often thought of the fact when people say they saved money what they actually did is spent money.
this is some form of mind control I think thro' advertisement.

Galla Creek said...

Fleta ...you and Erin are just alike the thrift stores are her favorite.
I have a set of Feista Dinner ware it is expensive. My girls got it for me.

I love all the bargains you got. Especially the ice cream spoon. I remember the ice milk mom bought and the spoon we scooped it with. It was always ice milk..the vanilla was real white and good. She would buy several boxes and we would eat a box as soon as she got home with the groceries.

Sister--Helen said...

I don't think I like the red dishes...