Friday, February 05, 2010

Dead People

Betty wants to know what relationship Our Grandma Powell was to Aunt Una. If Betty had a genealogy program that was worth what she paid for it, the program would tell her. My genealogy program tells me Grandma and Anut Una were second cousins once removed. But that may not be exactly true.

Our Grandmother in a letter date 1967 states that brothers Ben (her grandfather), Andrew (Andy) and Taylor (Pat) Coxsey came to Carroll Co. AR in 1869 and that Ben was the oldest. I am almost sure that that is not correct. I found Ben Coxey on the 1850 census as a son of Absalom Coxsey. On the same census, Polk Co., Tennessee, John B. Coxsey is listed with sons James A., John T., and Joshua L. The James A. is James Anderson, Aunt Una's grandfather. Joshua L, is I think, actually Joshua Taylor and is the Pat Coxsey.

What I think is that Ben Coxsey was a brother to Andy and Pat's father, John B. Coxsey. But I am not sure. I am pretty sure that Ben, Andy and Pat were not brothers. However, Ben was closer to the age of Andy and Pat than he was to their father John B. Coxsey.

I think it is safe to say that Grandma and Aunt Una were cousins.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I don't have john as a brother to Benjamin. I will need to fix this.

Unknown said...

I thought Aunt Una was married to Uncle Jesse...doesn't that make them sister-in-laws. I'm on alot of meds...so who knows.