Friday, February 01, 2008

Africian American President

With all the excitement about Obama running for President, did you know that, if elected, he would not be the first President with African American ancestry? But, he would be the first at something. He would, to my knowledge, be the first President that could trace his ancestors to Carroll County Arkansas. Do you recognize the name Nathanial Bunch? Well, maybe you don’t, but I certainly do. He was the father of Bradley Bunch who was an early Carroll County Politian. He was also the father of Anna Bunch who married Samuel Thompson Allred. Samuel Allred and Anna Bunch were g-g-g-g Grandparents of Barack Obama. Just think, a president related to Bill Allred.




If you click on the photo, it will enlarge and you can read the names Samuel and Anna Allred. I took this picture last fall at Liberty Cemetery. Sometimes I take photos of gravemarkers for people who contact me and sometimes they pay me for the photos. Do you think Barack would be interested in a photo of his grandmother's gravemarker?




Now, do you know who is the first President with African American ancestry?

9 comments:

patsy said...

Thomas Jefferson

Galla Creek said...

Well, did you see the creekmores...did you see the mccurry lady born on dry creek...move than one carroll co ancestor in his tree...

Galla Creek said...

Thomas Creekmore McCurry, b. ... , Mo., ... Jan. 1850, d. Peru, Kan., ... 1939
m. Chautauqua Co., Kan., 13 March 1885
31 Margaret Belle Wright, b. Dry Fork, Carroll Co., Ark., 11 Aug. 1869, d. Elk City, Kan., 28 Nov. 1935

Here is the Creekmore
Harbin Wilburn McCurry, b. ... , Ind., 11 March 1823, d. Center, Oklahoma Territory, 24 July 1899
m.
61 Elizabeth Edna Creekmore, b. ... , Ill., 23 March 1827, d. Ada, Oklahoma Territory, 15 Jan. 1918

I think Patsy knew some of these Creekmores.

Anonymous said...

fleta, write an article for the historical society newletter about barack's carroll co ties...makes a good story. sis 3 of course

Sister--Helen said...

If he or his relatives would have let the sun set on their back in 1950 in harrison arkansas he probably would have been hanged by the neck......that sign was still posted in 1960's....It said 'Nigger don't let the sun sit on you in this town" I still remember seeing the sign when entering harrison....isn't that where our other Betty lives.... In 1973 there was no black citizens that I knew lived in Harrison Arkansas at all..In 1973 there was a black man driving through the town and stopped at the grocery store where I was working. He came through my line and I made a point of touching his hand when I gave him change...I was 18 years old and that was the 1st black man I had seen up close and the 1st one I had ever touched.I do not believe we will have a black president in 08....Yeah write a good story Betty....be sure to add the part about the sign entering Harrison...

Sister--Helen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

the black guy i work with always trembles when i mention harrison..he says he woudl be scared to go there. sis 3

patsy said...

a branch does not make a tree.

Galla Creek said...

Barry, does your Granny come
From the soil where I sprung?
Did she play on ole Dry Creek,
Skip flat rocks across the deep?
Were our paths truly one
Along the bank of Dry Creek run!
Are our roots tangled in the clay?
Well, Sister’s quick to say--
“One branch can’t join you to me
One branch does not make a tree!”