Friday, September 09, 2016

Channeling THE Donalds...

That is me.  But which Donald?  Maybe Rumsfeld, as in the known unknown.

Grandson has lived half way around the world for about a year now.  My unknowns about his military life far outweigh my knowns.

He lives in a military barrack somewhere on the Japanese Island of Okinawa.  He works somewhere on a military base on that island.  His wife will join him at the end of September and they have housing on a military base on the same.  My major unknown was that this military base was all ONE place on Okinawa.  Not only are there numerous unknown to me military bases on this island, exact number still unknown but >10, there are a considerable number of Marine Core bases there.

There are seven USMC camps on Okinawa. Courtney, Foster, Lester, and Kinser are for Marines and families to live. Hansen, Schwab, and Futenma are for Marines to live. Click here for a map of Okinawa.

My unknowns caused great confusion for me when husband said Lane's was excited that his new housing was on the same base where he ordinary worked.  Me, channeling Gary Johnson, there's more than one base on Okinawa?  Yes, dozens.  Me, Oh!

Our military actually has 30 some odd military bases in Japan, with more than a dozen on the island of Okinawa.  You can read more about this here
http://usmclife.com/bases/okinawa-japan/

and here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Forces_Japan

note that these links are really for me to read more about Lane's life later on without having to search it out again.  One Trumpian in my lack of knowledge is that until grandson arrived on this little piece of the world it was an unknown to me that Okinawa was actually part of the nation of Japan.  One of the most interesting thing I learned just this am is that the main island of Okinawa is connected by bridges to other surrounding smaller islands.

And, since the kids will be there a few years yet, I may someday have a grandchild channeling McCain in being a US citizen born outside the boundaries of the US.

Are these unknown knowns or known unknowns?


 

No comments: