Tuesday, December 15, 2015

And So...



2006


2007

Christmas has never been my favorite holiday.  It still confounds me how anyone who's age can be measured in decades could fail to see the decadence practiced in 'celebrating' this holiday.  But the excitement in the eyes of the little children can warm even my stone cold heart.  Our boy is filled with pure joy in anticipation of Santa's visit.  A few days ago we were discussing what the Christmas celebration is supposed to symbolize.  He said it was Jesus' birthday.  I asked him what we usually did on someone's birthday.  We have a birthday party and give them gifts.  I asked if we should not then get gifts for Jesus instead of for each other.  He agreed, but was confounded by how we could do that.  "He is up there.  How would we send gifts to him?" he asked.  I knew the answer, but how to explain the concept to this child.  Yesterday, I looked up the passages in the bible and read them to the two children as a Bible study lesson.

First the KJV, Matthew 25: 35-40

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

In order to help him understand it better, I read verse 40 for his Boy's Bible.
40 The King will answer, "I can guarantee this truth: Whatever you did for one of my brothers or sisters, no mater how unimportant they seemed, you did for me." 


My Father loved to tell stories, and most of the stories I know are ones Daddy told. One of my favorite stories concerns his Grandma Powell and two traveling evangelist. In the twenties and thirties in northwest Arkansas there were a number of young people who went around the country collecting money for various religious groups. One day a couple of young men came to Grandma's door collecting for The Lord. Grandma told them she did not have any money.

One of the them looked around the yard and saw several chickens. He asked Grandma "Could you donate a couple of chickens to The Lord?" Grand ma quickly agreed to give them the chickens, but she said, "If you will come back in a couple of hours, I will have them killed and dressed for you."
Grandma fixed the chickens and took them down the road to one of her neighbors. The mother and father had both been sick and they were having a hard time feeding their large family.

When the young men returned, they asked Grandma where the chickens were she promised to give to The Lord. She said "I have already delivered them. I was afraid you wouldn't know the way." Grandma knew how to give a present to the Lord.

This Christmas, I am going to follow Grandma Betty's example.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

Helen is not home so don't take the chicken to her!!