Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Snow, blowing cold...

But we have made it to 35 degrees at 2pm.  It was 18 this morning.  Really, really cold but the snow is almost gone already.


No one is driving this today.


She ain't her Mama.  With temperatures well below freezing, she left her little one and went wondering afield.  I noticed around 11 that she was out in the field across from the house with just the billy, no Christmas Carol anywhere in sight.  I figured she  had left her at the barn.  I was trying to mop the floors, so it was after 1 before I went looking for the other baby.


Bertha  and Little Grey had their babies bedded down and protected in the tall grass along the fence line.


I found her at the barn asleep in a protected corner in the sun.  I scooped her up and put her inside my coat.  She did not move or make a sound.  I think she had been alone too long.  



She ran right to the food source.



Lady Grey is watching the dog.  Grey and Bertha fight the dogs and run them off when they get too close, but the Little Sis will run the other way, leaving her babies to fend for themselves.


Baby is almost as big as Mama.  Lady Greg is a good mama now.  No more loosing baby.


They come up and I fed them here at the house.  We feed them cattle cubes so we can just scatter them on the ground.  You have to spread the cubes in a large area or only Bertha, Sandy and the black Billy will get to eat.


The white nanny in front on the left is Patsy, born to Big White on St. Patrick's day.  I think she is going to have babies next.  Probably within a week or so.  She has more of a bag then she did when the new babies were born last week, so it is not going to be long.  Then, Big White will have babies within a month or so.  We have 15 goats and counting.

Oh, and I got all the Christmas wrapped except for the Ipad.  I still want to get a princess story or game for Hannah tonight.  I have about a half dozen educational games for it now.  I took Helen's advise and did not get any regular games, only ed games.  I am learning how it works, but I think I like the PC better except for reading books.  The touch screen will be good for the kids learning games.  And, if they don't like it, I can use it to read books.

Sure glad I did not have to go to work in the snow and cold.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

i thought it was cold here but so much colder there. We had christmas at Laura's and it was nice.

Sister--Helen said...

If little Grey finally made a good mama there is hope for any of them because she was REALLY Blond loosing hers all of the time...

Anonymous said...

What animal is that?!