I am enjoying using the mixer making bread. I do have to measure the liquid and flour a little more with the mixer because I have trouble knowing how much flour is enough. I have always went by 'feel' when adding flour to yeast bread. I cannot feel how much flour is in the mixer. I am getting a better idea of the right 'look' of the dough in the mixer. I think today's bread will be good. I am sure it will be better than Patsy's.
Here is a recipe for muffins I made Sunday. I found a recipe on the web and then added cracked wheat and streusel topping. They were really good. You could add nuts, but I did not have nuts on hand. They were really, really good.
Banana Streusel Muffins, adapted from Stupid Web Recipe
Makes 12 muffins
Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 Tablespoon margarine until curmbly
1/3 cup softened cracked wheat [bulgur]
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 or 4 bananas mashed
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. To soften cracked wheat [bulgur], heat 3 cups water to boiling, mix in 1 cup bulgur, heat on low for about 10 minutes until all moisture is absorbed by the wheat. Measure out what your recipe calls for. Freeze the excess in a freezer bag. To use from freezer, bang bag of frozen wheat on the counter to loosen it up, and warm what you need to use in the microwave. Return excess to freezer. These instructions were inspired by a recipe I found on the web that called for 3 cups plus 1 teaspoon of water to a cup of wheat. The teaspoon of water is just stupid.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
3. Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add softened cracked wheat. In a separate bowl, beat together banana, sugar, egg and vanilla. Stir in the sour cream [I used yogurt]. Stir banana mixture into flour until just combined. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
4. Spoon a little topping mix on each muffin.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. EAT. The eat instructions were inspired by the original recipe that called for letting them cool completely and store in airtight container overnight before eating. That is just stupid.