Saturday, October 15, 2011

A book for Patsy

Ava's Man by Rick Bragg.  I have read several of Rick Bragg's books and I liked all I have read.  This book is about his grandfather that died a year or so before Rick was born.  His grandfather and grandmother, Ava, were born in the early 1900's in Alabama.  His grandfather lived in poverty all his life but was a hard working, hard drinking, family man.

During WWII, two sons from this family are drafted into the service.  They are sent to, I think, Ft. Polk, in Louisiana, for basic training.  In spite of having almost no money, their father drives from Alabama to Louisiana at least once a month to check on his sons.  As he explains it, he did not worry about his sons surviving the War, he worried about them surviving the peace.  He had taught them early to fight and drink hard, and he thought he might have taught them too well.

The book is Rick's attempt to know a grandfather that he never met.  At the end of the book, Rick and I both thought his grandfather was a good man.

Patsy,  I think you would enjoy this book.  I know we thought we were poor when we were growing up, but this family was really poorer than poor. You may have to go to a library a thousand miles from home to find this book and some others by Rich Bragg.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

This book is one of my favorites. Bragg has other books too.

Sister--Helen said...

Well Fleet I have surely lost it. I checked your blog this morning and you still had the same post up. Which BTW I am going to the library to get some of his books. Anyhoo, I looked at your last post which I had commented on and saw the pictures of the front door. Now I do not know how it happened but I had not seen those pictures when I made the comment on the blog. I even remember thinking, how does Betty know it has a window in it. After typing this I have decided you have just put up these pictures recently ....after I commented. Yes, defiantly, that is what I will think