Saturday, July 02, 2011

Alexander Cox


This is the grave marker for Alexander U. Cox in Newbern Cemetery, Lucas County, Iowa.  His wife Harriet Cumpston Sams, Cox, Scott, Knowles is also buried in the cemetery.  I was contacted by an individual last week concerning genealogy of this family saying they had this photo, but the only thing they sent was the following obituary for Harriet, the wife.


This was not really what I was wanting.  I asked how they descend from Alexander Cox, but did not get that information.  This morning, as the work  on windows progresses I was told to go away and play  on the computer.  They said they did not need a boss.   So, I decided to try and find the gravemarker photo.  I found the birth and death date on Ancestry, but the record did not even state the name of the cemetery.  Ancestry says cemetery 46 in Lucas Co. Iowa.  Anyway, after much searching, I found this person's tree on Ancestry here
The person who put up the tree is a descendant of Minnie Cox, daughter of Alexander and Harriet Cox. This tree has Minnie married to Archie Haynes, just as I do in my tree, but has her the mother of two children with the last name of Leech.  The data in his tree is kind of confusing, but I think it is probably accurate, though confusing, as the daughter of Minnie Cox that they descend from did not die until 1985, which likely means the information comes from the memory of the daughter.  They also had Minnie Cox's death certificate says her father was unknown Cox and mother Harriet Cumpson.  

It was fun hunting out the information and I  am glad to have Alexander Cox's gravemarker photo and to know the cemetery where he is buried.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

What a nice way to spend the day.