Monday, March 21, 2011

Garden time


George plowed and tilled the garden yesterday.  Today, he had Frank come up and mark off rows with the tiller row maker.  I think the row marker is a waste of time, but they had it done when I got home.  I planted 3 rows of potatoes, lettuce, radishes, mustard and onions.  I got seed from Bonham's hardware.  Thanks to unsavory relatives, we will probably have to mail order seeds next year.  A Powell has bought out Bonham's hardware and is going to close it and build a new hardware.  Bonham's was still like an old time hardware but will probably be just like all the rest now.


I have planted some herb seeds and purple coneflower seeds here.  If it gets too cool, I will have to bring them in the house.  I love to grow and cook with sweet basil, so that is mostly what I planted.  If they don't do well, I will buy plants at wally world.

This is the chives that I planted in Helen's bowl last year.  They looked terrible all summer and fall, but now they have come back and look pretty good.

I have decided to plant a real herb garden where I have Daddy's plow in the yard this year.  But, I have said that for the last two years and end up letting the flowers crowd out the herbs.  I am going to try tough love this  year and yank out all the flowers that come up in the herb bed.  Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I worked out all day. We did not plant garden but maybe we will get to that tomorrow.