Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Books

I had my library get the Circus book that the sisters recommended. It was alright. The first part of the book was really interesting, but I did not like this woman. I had read an interview of her and thought I would like her, but no. She was not someone I could like, and she seemed to think her husband was a great man. I did not see anything in the book to make me think he was anything other than a very nasty old man.

I read a biography of Sotomayor. Again, I really enjoyed the first part of the book. Her mother was an orphan from Puerto Rico. Her father died young and left her mother to raise two children. She grew up in the projects in New York. At one time, she was a prosecutor in New York. Some of the stories of her cases would make great detective books.

Another book I have this week is Redneck Boy in the Promised Land by Ben Jones, Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard. Again it was the first part of the book, before he became famous that was so very interesting. He was born right before WWII. His father was a railroad section foreman in Virginia and they lived in a 'section' house just a few feet from the railroad tracks during his childhood. They were very poor. They did not get electricity or running water in their house until sometime in the 60's.

I read a bio of General Sherman that was interesting.

I think I will go to the library tomorrow and see if they have any Norman Mailer books. I have never read any of his books. Betty says his Gary Gilmore book is good. Our library will probably not have that one, but they probably have the Marilyn book. I think I have tried to read his books before and thought that he took real people and wrote fiction. If someone wants to write fiction, I do not understand why they do not just write fiction instead of using real names of famous people. Well, I guess I do. Big made up stories about famous real people make more money than unreal made up stories about people of their dreams.

It was really hot today, but we have a nice breeze blowing now. In July, in Arkansas, you can count on hearing 1954 on the weather report of record highs several days a week. The year Grandpa died and Helen was born, the hottest on record.

4 comments:

patsy said...

Daddy had a crop of corn at grandpas I think grandpa bought the seed and daddy did the work. it was tossling and it burn up in a week. just turn as brown as it would in the winter.
that year was the beginning of the end for daddy and farming he hung on for a few more years but finally had to go to work for wages. Uncle truman also and he had never worked out side of the farm until the 60's.

patsy said...

should have said they went to KC to work in the late 50's after the drought hit. daddy came home after making some money but truman stayed for several years. truman and francis were the same as seperated daddy thought.

Galla Creek said...

I would like to read the Sotomayer book.

Sister--Helen said...

I have put a hold on the cooter book....I saw him on a talk show several years ago when the remake of Dukes of Hazzard movie came out...He wanted people to boycot the movie because he said they took a wholesome family show and in the remake they used a lot of 4 letter words..He did not like that...He refered to his web site and I wanted to see all of what he had to say....sooooooo...I went to the computer and instead of pulling up google to find his website I just typed cooter.com...He would not have approved of the site I pulled up there....I will not forget it...