Monday, November 16, 2009

Of Beds and ???



I bought the babies a set of bunk beds at a garage sale. Well, actually a storage unit sale. They needed bunk beds because the room is very small. I am not sure they are old enough to sleep on the top bunk. I told their parents I would just let them sleep together on the bottom bunk.



I also bought this metal bed at a junk store. It was only $1o but it did not come with the side rails. I think Greg could make side rails from angle iron. I asked George how much angle iron for this would cost. He asked how much I would need. Twice the length of the bed. I thought he should know that. I think he thought I should know angle iron prices. He said it would not cost much. Now, I still don't know, because after 37 years I know that George's idea of 'not much' changes from hour to hour. When a 'thing' is advertised at $199.99 George will round it off and say it costs $100.

But, he got a letter from the state saying he can draw unemployment again for 13 more weeks. I am planning on him using this to redo our floor. He agrees, but he is like my mother, he always agrees with whatever anyone says even when he has no intention of really doing what he is agreeing to. We will see. Next week he may be out buying something new for his tractor instead of lumber for the floor.




The kids both trying to get on the ladder at once.






the bed with the pink stuff.



Memaw's girl.
And, Betty says she has a metal bed that belonged to Miss Effie that I can have. We are going down Saturday or Sunday after Turkey day and pick it up. If I like it better than the $10 bed, I will give this one to the babies parents.
I am making pumpkin pies. I usually just buy pies from Mrs. Smith but Wally world at BV only has the regular pumpkin pies, not the custard version I like. I bought the frozen crusts, but I made the insides from scratch. And what a scratch. I usually use a can of canned milk but all I had was a 5 oz can of milk. I knew it had been around for a while. The exp date was 11/26/09. That probably makes it about a year old. I bought a can of pumpkin, but while I was looking for another can of milk I found a can of pumpkin. It did not look like it was that old. I thought maybe last year. The exp date on it was 2005. The exp date of the one I got today was 2012, so the 2005 one was probably bought in 2002. I threw it out.
I did look for a recipe for the pies but could only find the regular recipe. I doubled the eggs from 3 to 6, doubled the regular milk, and put in 1 cup of sugar instead of the 3/4 I read in the recipe. I was not sure I had spices but I found a very old can of ginger and a newer thing of ginger from last year, an old thing of pumpkin pie spices that may be 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 years old, a thing of nutmeg that is probably a year or 2 old and several thing of cinnamon. I more than doubled the amount of spices using a eating teaspoon instead of a measuring spoon. We will see how it all works. Then, after I got it all mixed, I looked at the recipe again and saw it said 2/3 cup sugar instead of 3/4 cup so I poured in some more sugar, maybe 1/4 cup, maybe more, maybe less. I will let you all know if they turn out good. If so, you already have the recipe right here.


11 comments:

patsy said...

i have eggs if you want some for pies or breakfast.

Galla Creek said...

I am confused on the recipe. tee hee.
This bed may look better than Effie's as it has been in the attic for about 20 years.

Galla Creek said...

I was a thinking...those 2 grandkids know memaw loves them.

Sister--Helen said...

well I can't quit laughing....and I am thinking of Clayton. I know he reads all of the blogs all of the time and I imagine he is running to your house right now to try a piece of that pie...I will tell you Fleta with that recipe you will have everyones mouth watering....

Sister--Helen said...

now Fleta....if you thought it said 3/4 a cup of sugar but you put in a cup....I even sort of understand that...but then....you found out it said 2/3 cup...which is LESS than the 3/4 you first thought why did you add MORE sugar...just cause???

Sister--Helen said...

heck, I think you should have just used the old can of pumpkin....especially if the sides were swollen out...then maybe you could have cut back a little on the salt....did you add salt??

Sister--Helen said...

13 more weeks of unemployment...God bless Obama///

Sister--Helen said...

besides I can tell you saved a fortune on that pie...

Sister--Helen said...

take the pie to Betty's with you where you all can enjoy it...hopefully Erin will get a taste of it...

Sister--Helen said...

Fleta, here is a recipe for you...I think you should make this...
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1860159&iid=news-di-111909&PromKey=XET

Sister--Helen said...

I love the metal bed I wish I had one...do you still have debby's bed?