Tuesday, October 12, 2021

What's in a name?

 Surname that is.

Go HERE https://forebears.io/surnames/aday then erase the Aday and replace with your favorite surname.  This brings up a map and a frequency list indicating where in the world your surname is most prevalent. And, most of your lists will have United States in the first place, as below:

Powell

Aday looks like this.


My friend named Enloe looks like this.


And what is the most common surname in the United States? Without asking for Uncle Google's help.  I have guessed #2, 3, 4, and 5 but # One eludes me.

OK, it took me almost 30 minutes, now I have #1 thur #6.  Will post them tomorrow.  I can't believe I could not get that first one because it is so obvious.  And, I cheated. Not with Google, but by looking at the names in my family file.  I kept thinking, I have to know people with the # 1 name. I started thinking of people I know, but still no #1 came to mind.  Maybe partly because so many of the people I know at work do not have common American names. Then I thought the #1 name has to be in our family file. I have 7,700 individual in my local file on my computer. Sure enough, when I came to #1, I knew that was IT. I'm glad I found it because I was about ready to ask Google.  I still can't believe I could not remember that name.  It is so common.







No comments: