Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving 2019

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving at Grandma's, but Grandma was so busy cooking she did not take any pictures.  All the kids and grandkids were here plus Sister Helen, Brother Gilbert, and Gilbert's granddaughter Alisha.  Helen did the deserts and green beans; I did all the rest, turkey, dressing, rolls, and potatoes.  Food was good and we all had a great time.  JR and Tonya were a little late getting here because JR wanted to be sure he did not arrive too early, but we saved them a few bites.

The highlight of the day was when Gilbert found foreign material in Helen's pumpkin pie.  She took it from him, examining it closely before declaring it was her toenail.  Thankfully, I ate only the wonderful carrot cake, avoiding toenail poisoning.  Helen played the sister-in-law role and cleaned up the dishes before going home.  

And, Lane did not pay attention during introductions.  He was relieved to learn that Alisha was Gilbert's granddaughter and not his 18 year old girlfriend.

Emmy took Hannah off with her to go shopping last evening and I guess today, since she is not home this morning.

Here are some pictures I took on my walks earlier in the week.


Monday, I walked up across the hill, down the other side, and down the red clay hill towards Callens Branch.  This farm road across the hill is, I believe, an old wagon road from the 1800's.  This is the view coming off the hill into Hampton's field.  You can see Hampton's barn in the distance.


I drove the truck up to Sister's, hoping the dogs would not follow me, but no such  luck.  Both dogs got distracted over by the red barn, digging after treasure.  I wonder if they would find their way home, as neither was anywhere in sight when I topped the hill on my way back.


This is a view of Randy's field behind the red barn, the land that was homesteaded by Joel McNiel about 1860.

.

Another view of the same land.


This is another branch of the same farm road I took back across the hill.  It starts in the ditch just this side of the read barn. It intersects at the top of the hill with the one I took down on my way over.



It is swampy on top of the hill making for good ground for pretty green moss.



By the time I got back to the fence line between us and David, both dogs were back with me.



This is the old cemetery on Dan's place.  I walked down here on Sunday.


I jumped two of these down close to the cemetery.


This is the Morris house as seen from the cemetery.  Jacob Shank, died in 1884 and is buried in this cemetery.  At his death, he owned most of the land seen in the distance here.



There were a half dozen or so ducks on Dan's pond right by the cemetery.  This pond sits right on the old fence line between Daddy's land and Dan's.

I have been off work since last Friday and do not go back until Wednesday.  I have been feeding the living and searching for the dead.


No comments: