Sunday, June 22, 2014

Patsy is Crazy


She  had two babies late yesterday.  She dropped them on the pond bank, right in the middle of the herd. Usually, they would go off by themselves somewhere to kid.  It was really hot yesterday, and she had them out in the blazing sun.   The dark one in front is a nannie and the one laying down is a billy.  George found them when he and Helen used the tractor to lead the horse to water.  He said the little billy was not with his mama.  Against my better judgement, I went back down after a couple of hours to check on them.  The nannie was doing fine, but the billy still had not nursed.  They were lying in the sun, panting with the heat.  I took them over here under the tree and left them with her.  When they all went to the barn, I heard Pasty bawling, and went to check on her.  I did not see babies, so I went back to the tree.  Billy was still there but nannie was gone.  Billy had nursed and was doing better so I carried him to the barn to his crazy mother, but could not find nannie.  George went back to the barn and said he then had the nannie with her, but no Billy.  Maybe she will settle down and do better today.  I think the best thing to do when a goat is kidding is to leave them alone.  They know what to do better than I do.  But, against my better judgement...

And, they lead a horse to water and he did drink.  Who knows if he can lead himself to water now.

2 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Fleta, are you sure you made the right move? Do you really think Patsy knows better than you? LOL

Galla Creek said...

I would sell Patsy when you sell the others. That is what we would do with a Feist.

Glad the horse found the pond. I bet he will go back by himself now.

We had one Feist Momma that would never let the pups start eating dry food. She was such a pig she wanted all the food. Animals like people are all different.