Monday, August 12, 2013

South of the Dan...

Betty's photo of The Dan in Halifax County, VA got me to searching for photos of the area.  We know that Charles Powell and his father-in-law, Anthony Gholson owned acreage south of The Dan in Halifax County in the 1770-1780 time frame.  Anthony's land was bordered by The Dan, and I believe Charles Powell's land also was on The Dan.  Charles' land is described being on Licking Creek and Deep Bottom Creek.  I have never found either of these creeks on any Halifax County maps, either present day or in the 1700's but I have seen many land descriptions from this time period naming these two creeks.  I had a one time determined that Charles Powell and Anthony's land was close to present day Turbeville, VA.  I know they were located somewhere between Danville and South Boston.  Anthony Gholson's land patent says his land was as below:

Halifax Co. Land Records Book 10 page 265 Dated 10 Feb 1777 Anthony Gholson of Louisa Co. purchased of John Williamson of Halifax Co. for 125 pounds 225 acres "lying and being on the South Side of Dan on the lower side of Deep Bottom creek...Down new Road" bound by John Dickies, William Wiley and Joyn Raney, Joseph Talbert, Elizabeth Miller-  "its being a tract of land bequeathed to Jacob Miller by the last will and testament of Harmen Miller Dec.  and conveyed by deed from the said Jacob Miller to John Williamson"

I have found a photo on the web of William Wiley's tavern, taken in the 1930's.  Cornwallis and Nathaniel Greene both used Wiley's tavern as headquarters at different times in their 'Race to The Dan.'  This tavern was located on VA Route 58 about 6 miles south of South Boston, VA.





When I look at Google Maps, I see areas along The Dan that appears to be bottom fields and other areas that look pretty rough like the terrain  of West Virginia.

I also know that Asher Reaves owned Charles Powell's land in Halifax and sold it back to Anthony Powell, Charles' eldest son.  In searching today, I found that Asher Reaves married Diana Miller. Anthony Powell married Elizabeth Miller, daughter of Elizabeth Miller.  I guess Asher and Anthony were likely brothers-in-law.

1 comment:

Galla Creek said...

I bet part of charles land was bottoms on the creek. He grew tobacco is what I think he and the Gholson's grew.

Tobacco wears out the soil.