Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day Twenty Five





Helen's Cinnamon Rolls

4 cups milk
1 cup Vegetable Oil
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon Salt
2 Packages Yeast
1 teaspoon baking powders
1 scant teaspoon baking soda
5 to 8 cups of flour
margarine, sugar or brown sugar and lots of cinnamon


Pour milk in large  bowl and heat about 4 minutes in microwave
Add oil and sugar, heat in microwave 2 or 3 more minutes siring to dissolve sugar

Let set till cool
add yeast to 1/4 cup of baby bottle warm water with a teaspoon of sugar, stir to dissolve

stir 2 or 3 cups of flour, salt, baking powders and soda in a large bowl
add to flour mixture to milk mixture and mix till smooth
add yeast mixture
stir in flour till you get a stiff dough
turn out on floured board or counter and knead till it feels like good bread
place in greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough
let rise till double or refrigerate up to 1 day 

divide into 2 or 3 parts
roll out one part at a time to a large rectangle
spread margarine over dough
sprinkle with sugar and lots of cinnamon
cut in slices and place in oiled pan

let rise till double
bake at 375 degrees till light brown
frost lightly with butter cream frosting


eat

Recipe can be halved if this is more than you need.

I made these to take to work tomorrow, but mostly because I wanted cinnamon rolls.  I had to search around for the recipe because I could not remember where I put it.  So, with it here, I will know where to find it next time.  I usually do not use a recipe and this one is simple and easy to remember except I had forgotten how much milk to use.  I really like it for making regular rolls for holidays because you can do the hard part the night before and just take it out of the fridge 60 to 90 minutes before you plan on serving the meal.  I used it at Christmas and it worked great with much less fuss than bread usually causes.  I think the secret is heating the whole thing to really dissolve the sugar.  The oil is what makes it work well with storing till the next day to finish.

I have not had a dough  board for 30 years.  I have always used the counter top for making bread.  My new counter top made a really nice dough board, until, it came time to slice the rolls.  Huto, I can't use a knife on my new counter.  I sliced with a case knife this time.  I guess I will have to look for a dough board.  I wonder if they still make such things.

Also, I have several other pictures of parts of me making the rolls but this is the only one with my entire head in the picture.  George is picture challenged. 

Helen thanks for the recipe and thanks for the pictures.


4 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Oh, my goodness. They look good. Are you taking them to work.

Sister--Helen said...

ck my blog a new pic

Sister--Helen said...

Fleet they look just like mine

Sister--Helen said...

I know they will love those rolls