Sunday, November 06, 2011

Free is good

I have found a free service online for storing and updated files between my computers.  I know many people with multiple computers have them networked so files can be shared with all the computers.  That does not work with my computers, partly because our desktop computer is really old. And, sometimes I want some of my personal files on my work computer.  I cannot network my work computer and cannot install any programs on it.

Dropbox at www.dropbox.com  has a service, free by the way, where I can store files and access from any computer.  I installed their program on my laptop and desktop computer.  Now, if I want to share a file between computers, I just put it in the dropbox folder on the computer I am using.  The next time I connect the other computer to the net, the my dropbox files are updated automatically.  If I change a file in the dropbox folder on either computer, it auto updates the online files the next time I connect and auto updates the files on each computer each time I connect to the net.  I can use it from work by logging into my dropbox account but it will not update folders on my work computer because I cannot install their program at work.  It has worked out really great for me.

I just finished typing the Rule school census for the historical society.  I type it on the desktop because I need the 10 key to easily type the dates.  But, I want to send it to Shirley from my laptop because it is faster and more reliable for email.  I just saved the file in the folder on the desktop, connected to the net.  Went to the laptop and connected to the net.  In just a couple of minutes, the new file was on my laptop.

The also have a public folder to share files with anyone.  I made a PDF of my entire school census file and put it in the public folder.  Dropbox says anyone can view the PFD file here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45964438/Green%20Forest%20School%20Census.pdf
Lets try it and see if it works.  It is a large file because it has all the Green Forest schools in alpa order upto rule.  Daddy and his siblings are in Sunny Lane and I have not gotten to that one yet.

I am really pleased with their service.  It is easy and really useful.

3 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Control f works to find the name you want. I looked and I found all the powells in the file. It was easy.

Donna. W said...

I'm loving dropbox. If Cliff wants pictures of his Oliver on the laptop, I sit here at the main computer, put the pictures in dropbox, and there they are on the laptop. Easiest way ever to transfer files.

Sister--Helen said...

Fleta I do love dropbox....Find another great free program...