Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Vacation Flowers



This was at one time a rose flower bed on the west side of the trailer. The roses became afflicted with a fungus. Instead of dying, they have been hanging around looking like death warmed over. And, at least a half dozen elm sprouts had taken over most of the bed. I have tried several killers here, but the roses and elms kept coming back, looking sicker with each recurrence.



With the help of the tractor, George dug everything out except the lilac and added good hill dirt for new planting.




These marigolds and cosmos are much too large to transplant, but they were crowding out my strawberries and needed to be removed. I decided to try transplanting. I was going to have to just throw them away anyway so there is no loss. I clipped the tops by about half.




Some are looking pretty good and some not so good. I have found other plants in my jungle plantings and moved them here. The zinnias had spouted in the gravel in odd places from last years seeds. I may buy some plants for here, but I looked yesterday at Wally World and did not find anything I wanted to waste money on. These, all I have wasted is effort. I am rooting my three different sweet potato vines to plant along the front edge of this . Then, when it dries up, we are going to add gravel in front of the bed to connect it to our parking place in front of the bed.

It is drizzling rain right now. We have over 6 tenths of an inch already and the sky is overcast from horizon to horizon. I started watering the garden last night, intending to continue today. God beat me to the watering job. He is doing a much better job than I do.

2 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

well it started out looking pretty ugly...maybe everything will grow

Galla Creek said...

The rain my help the things you moved survive.