Monday, June 05, 2006

On the Death of a Sister

I wrote this poem when I heard of the death of my Aunt Fleta. I was thinking of Aunt Fleta and Aunt Winnie when I wrote the poem.

On the Death of a Sister

We shared a bond of time and place,
Our lives entwined like threads in lace.
Her mother, my mother, her father mine.
We shared a room, a space in time.
Same time and place in the Universe,
All things were shared with sister first.
Who will I share with from now on?
Sister’s gone, Sister’s gone.

January 29, 1994
Fleta Aday

5 comments:

Galla Creek said...

And it could be we sisters!
It will be the same for us.

Sister--Helen said...

Well it won't be the same for us until there is just one left.

Sister--Fleta said...

I am going to be like Thelma, the one left. Jackie has promised to take care of me and to be sure I am buried, not cremated. I only want to burn once.

Linda@VS said...

Beautiful poem, Fleta! Now where's that Kleenex...I had it just a minute ago.

Sister--Helen said...

Well Fleta none of us will fight you to be last. I am sure you won't burn. Just for the things you have done for us should have earned you a spot in Heaven.