Thursday, April 13, 2006

When I set the world on fire

First Sister
This afternoon, I went to Wal-Mart to buy groceries after work. When I came out of the store, there was smoke everywhere. There had to be a big fire somewhere. All the way home, 15 miles or more, the smoke kept getting wrose. I was wondering if brother had set the hills afire again. On the news, they told the smoke was from a 'controlled burn' in the national forest south of here. Maybe is was not so controlled as the smoke was thick for over 100 miles away.

I have set my house on fire twice. The first time Greg was here and we got it put out rather quickly. The second time, I had to call brother from up the road and the fire department. I was not so scared that I would burn my own home down as I was that I would burn all the neighbors houses, barns and chicken houses across the hill. As brother and I battled the raging blazes, Mother watched from her back window. She got overly excited and somehow fell and hit her head. Then she could not get herself off the floor. She had to call Old Brother to come help her. Poor brother found Mother lying on the floor bleeding and his sister trying to burn the place down. Finally, the fire department got here and put out the fire. We kept it in the family tho. Niece Chery's husband drove the fire truck out here. He was probably the only one on the fire department that knew where we lived. They arrived just in time. The underpinning of the house was smoldering in several places. I am now not allowed to burn.

6 comments:

patsy said...

I guess not.

Cheryl said...

TIM RECIEVED A CERTIFICATE FROM GOVERNOR HUCKABEE LAST YEAR FOR 20 YEARS OF VOLUNTEER SERVICE WITH THE FIRE DEPARTMENT.

Sister--Helen said...

Oh my rubbing elbows with Betty's friend.

Galla Creek said...

Larry is the fire bug in our family
He decides to burn and I get scared. I don't ming the piles of leaves but the big brush piles make
me nervous. We have set the field on fire and neighbors help and the
fire department had to come. Larry just said...well, thats why we pay those dues. Like we needed to get
our money's worth.

Galla Creek said...

It is nice to know the Huckster
likes so many in our family!

The little Rock paper called
school yesterday wanting to interview me about my award and
one of my students answered the phone in my office and informed him
I was busy teaching. He said call back after 3 10. Well, I don't hang around after the last bell so I missed my big chance to get interviewed in the State Paper!

Cheryl said...

Good thing your not at my house we can barely have candles burning.